The Survivor

Dear world,

My name is Amber and I’m a freshman at Rice, who has graciously allowed me to host my website here – providing yet another distraction from my upcoming Math 102 midterm.  Oh, I’m being silly.

The title “Glass Half Fuller” comes from a combination of two things: the common saying “the optimist sees the glass as half full,” and the fullerene molecule, discovered at Rice in 1985.  Fullerene is most well known as a “buckyball” (C60) but can also assume myriad other shapes, including the carbon nanotube, which has immediate implications for cancer diagnosis and therapy.

I am currently pursuing a major in biochemistry and cell biology.  This year, I have shifted my focus from practical medicine to medical research, but we will see what the next year or so brings.

I have made several informal blogs in the past that have quickly been found by people who would deem their content inappropriate.  I have since learned the danger of creating personal blogs on the Internet, and I hope that this wordpress will survive longer, if only because I do not plan to discuss sensitive material here.